- Created: Wednesday, 04 August 2010 08:32
- Written by Craig Fields
This is crunch time.
The U.S. Senate will be voting on the Elena Kagan nomination by the end of the week, and in doing so, could replace an aging John Paul Stevens with a much younger -- and very radical -- anti-gun Justice.
It would be better for the Supreme Court to begin its 2010-2011 session with only eight Justices, than for this radical nominee to be confirmed. You will remember that in the McDonald decision, respect for our Second Amendment rights was left hanging by just a thread, on a 5-4 vote.
A vote to confirm Elena Kagan could put her on the Court for the next 30 years or more. As we have stated in the past, Kagan's record is abysmal:
* While serving in the Clinton administration, Kagan drafted an executive order to ban certain semi-automatic firearms;
* She suggested that the President could issue another executive order -- again, bypassing Congress -- to ban gun purchases without a police background check;
* As a law clerk, she advised against the Supreme Court considering Sandidge v. United States in a case that questioned the constitutionality of the D.C. gun ban, writing that she was "not sympathetic" to the gun owner's Second Amendment claims; and
* Kagan was also part of the Clinton team that pushed the firearms industry to include gun locks with all gun purchases and was in the Clinton administration when the President pushed legislation that would close down gun shows.
Be encouraged. We are standing with the American people in opposition to Elena Kagan. Senators who disregard our voice will pay a tremendous price in November.
Please make one final call to your two U.S. Senators and urge them to oppose the confirmation of this anti-gunner to the Supreme Court. (You can use the letter below to help direct your comments.) Finally, circulate this email to your pro-gun family and friends.
PHONE: You can call your Senators toll-free at 1-877-762-8762.
EMAIL: You can go to the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center to send your Senators the pre-written e-mail message below.
----- Pre-written letter -----
Please do NOT vote to confirm Elena Kagan.
She is a radical who is WAY OUT OF THE AMERICAN MAINSTREAM. A CBS news poll reported on July 13 that only 21% of the American public thinks the Senate should confirm Elena Kagan.
Another poll indicates that as many as one out every two voters would be "less likely" to vote for their incumbent Senator if he or she were to support Kagan.
Please be assured that voters will remember this vote in November.
It would be better for the Supreme Court to begin its 2010-2011 session with only eight Justices, than for this radical nominee to be confirmed.
The American people do not want Elena Kagan. Again, please vote NO on the nominee's confirmation.