Reps. Goode and Paul to offer pro-gun amendment to stop TSA obstruction of the armed pilots program
For three years, we’ve been fighting to give airline pilots the right to carry firearms for the protection of their passengers and their crew.
And for every bill or amendment we’ve passed, Norm Mineta — the liberal anti-gun Democrat who controls the Transportation Department — has obstructed, resisted, and equivocated.
When TSA was rolled into the Homeland Security Administration, more bureaucratic interference resulted.
Frankly, we’re sick of all of this illegal obstructionism — and we know you are too!
So this week, Congressman Virgil Goode of Virginia and Congressman Ron Paul of Texas will offer an amendment to:
* Begin the process of taking the armed pilot program away from the obstructionists at TSA and the Department of Transportation;
* Set up a procedure for pilots to force the government to accept them into the program; and
* End the foolish and counterproductive “lockbox,” which disarms pilots at a time when they could supplement other law enforcement resources.
The Goode-Paul amendment is expected to be offered to the bill that will implement the recommendations of the 9/11 commission (H.R. 10) either Thursday or Friday.
Yes, this is the same bill that we warned you about earlier this week. There are disturbing, anti-gun provisions in this bill which GOA is working to get removed.
But while we’re working to kill these provisions, it is important to use the underlying bill — this “freight train” — as an opportunity to go on the offensive and change federal law for the better. If we can remove the bureaucratic roadblocks to arming pilots, the terrorist hijacking threat will cease, once and for all.
ACTION: Please —
1) Contact House Rules Committee Chairman David Dreier. Ask him to report a “rule” which will allow the Goode-Paul amendment to be offered on the House floor. You can e-mail him by accessing his webpage at http://www.dreier.house.gov/talkto.htm or you can reach him at:
Please note: Only constituents should use his webpage form.
2) Contact your congressman, and ask him or her to cosponsor and vote for the Goode-Paul amendment. You can use the pre-written message below and send it as an e-mail by visiting the GOA Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm (where phone and fax numbers are also available).
—– Talking Points for Contacting Rep. Dreier —–
A. When the Rules Committee reports a rule on H.R. 10, a provision allowing the pro-gun Goode-Paul amendment to be offered on the House floor should be included.
B. TSA has been obstructing a lawful and common-sense program to allow airline pilots to defend their passengers, their crew, and innocent Americans on the ground. This must cease.
C. If the armed pilots program had been in effect on 9/11, the tragedy of that day could easily have been prevented.
—– Pre-written Letter for your Representative —–
When the House considers H.R. 10 — the 9/11 commission bill — please cosponsor and vote for the Goode-Paul amendment to stop TSA obstruction of the armed pilots program.
It is time to end TSA foot-dragging with respect to this common-sense program to allow airline pilots to defend their passengers, their crew, and innocent Americans on the ground.
If the armed pilots program had been in effect on 9/11, the tragedy of that day could easily have been prevented.